1 After these things I saw. And behold, a door being opened in Heaven! And I heard the first voice as a trumpet speaking with me, saying, Come up here, and I will show you what needs to happen after these things. 2 And at once I became in spirit. And, behold, a throne was set in Heaven, and One sitting on the throne. 3 And the One sitting was in appearance like a jasper stone, and a sardius; and a rainbow was around the throne, in appearance like an emerald. 4 And around the throne I saw twenty four thrones, and on the thrones I saw twenty four elders sitting, having been clothed in white garments. And they had golden crowns on their heads. 5 And out of the throne come forth lightnings and thunders and voices. And seven lamps of fire are burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God; 6 and a glassy sea before the throne, like crystal. And in the midst of the throne and around the throne were four living creatures, full of eyes before and behind. 7 And the first living creature was like a lion; and the second living creature like a calf; and the third living creature having a face like a man; and the fourth living creature like an eagle flying. 8 And the four living creatures each one had six wings around, and within being full of eyes. And they had no rest day and night, saying, “Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty,” the One who was, and is, and is coming! Isa. 6:3 9 And when ever the living creatures shall give glory and honor and thanks to the One sitting on the throne, to the One living forever and ever, 10 the twenty four elders fall down before Him sitting on the throne; and they will worship the One living forever and ever, and will throw their crowns before the throne, saying, 11 Lord, You are worthy to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because You created all things, and through Your will they exist and were created.
A. A door opened in Heaven
B. John heard the first voice as a trumpet saying “come up here”. John was the only one asked to “come up here”. The rest of the world was not asked. This prophecy was given to John. This is not the “RAPTURE”!!!
C. Description of God’s Throne and the worship of God
In Revelation Chapter 4, John was told to “come up here, and I will show you what needs to happen after these things”. It is important to note that we were not called, but John was. He was called so that he could show us the things which must shortly happen. There was only one who sat on the throne. God. John could not go to heaven in the flesh. When he heard the voice, in order for him to be in the Spirit, was to have faith that it was the voice of God that he had heard. John was exiled to Patmos because of the Word of God. He was not in a church when he received the Revelation, he was in prison. Jesus said that God is a spirit, and they that worship Him, must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Three key points are made in this chapter, besides the glorious description of God throne:
- Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come
- Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power:
- For thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Summary: We must worship God in spirit and in truth. God is a Spirit. We were created for his good pleasure. We must remember that we are here to serve Him, not ourselves. If we follow his commandments, to have no other God before Him and to love our neighbors as ourselves, then we are on our way to being able to give honor and glory and thanks directly to him in Heaven, and here on earth.
- Who was told to “come up here”?
- Describe the four living creatures?
- How many thrones are in heaven?
- Who sits on the thrones?
- What are the lamps of fire?
- How many lamps of fire are in heaven?
- What did the four living creatures say to the Lord?
- What did the twenty four elders say to the Lord?
- Who created all things and why?